unnoticed political fact

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 9 20:51:36 PDT 2001

In a message dated 01-07-09 23:37:07 EDT, N. Newman writes:

<< The Dakotas are odd places that vote pretty GOP for President but keep

electing pretty liberal Dems for Senate - its an odd populism but then it

has a long tradition of strange political alignments >>

I think I remember reading somewhere that one of the Dakotas had legislatively prohibited the factory hog (or chicken?) farms that are becoming standard in the midwest/south (and coming to washington state, apparently - on a recent drive through eastern wa I saw, on one side of the road, the beginnings of a intensive cattle operation and on the other, a farmhouse, with a "for sale" sign and a handmade protest billboard pointing to the operation: "site of proposed open cesspool"). Anybody know anything about this kind of legislation in the Dakotas? Or anywhere else, for that matter?

Les