Anarchist news

Joe Black revolt.news at usa.net
Wed Jul 11 03:53:27 PDT 2001

The latest Irish anarchist paper Workers Solidarity 65 is now online

You can read the articles on the web at http://struggle.ws/ws/2001.html

Or if you prefer you can print out the PDF version from http://struggle.ws/ws/pdf_ws65.html

------

The articles in this issue include

Elderly evicted from nursing homes as rich

get tax amnesties and politicians get bribes

Families of elderly people who can no longer afford to pay for their care in nursing homes are being told to remove them. The average cost of keeping an elderly person in a home has jumped to £400 a week

Illegal immigrants defy Spanish government and

win - Thousands of "Sin Papeles" get papers

A seven-week occupation of 10 Barcelona churches earlier this year resulted in a victory for illegal immigrants in Spain. The occupations have spread to and continue in other towns

Bin Tax: We are winning

Reports from the campaign in the Liberties and Walkinstown

Bin Tax: Building for the future

Dermot Sreenan who is on the ad-hoc co- ordination committee for the Corporation area looks ahead to the sort of victory we need.

Anti-Bin Tax protestors jailed in Cork

In June 2001 James McBarron along with two other bin tax protesters was jailed in Cork. We asked him to write about his experiences

Fighting Global Capitalism

..What sort of movement do we need?

Ireland has been on the fringes of the growing movement against neo-liberalism/capitalist globalisation. Since Seattle four organisations have attempted to function as umbrella groups for this growing movement.

Syndicalist unions in Siberia

Recently we received details of one of the newer syndicalist unions, the Siberian Confederation of Labour (SKT).

Thinking about anarchism -

Democracy, majority rule, and autonomy

An element of real democracy is that decisions should be made by those who are effected by them. For a lot of issues, only certain people will really be effected by a decision, and so they should be the only ones to make it.

Fighting Nice and Getting involved

The ruling class got an almighty slap in the face when we voted to reject the Nice Treaty. The Workers Solidarity Movement and other anarchists campaigned for a 'no' vote

Derry report

Anarchists in Derry had a busy pre-election period and we were distributing anti-Nice leaflets to encourage a No-Vote to Donegal- registered cars in the city

Mind your own Business: Economics at Work

Workers today face a sustained barrage of economic arguments and terminology which goes way beyond the old 'industry-speak' language of classical collective bargaining. Our bosses speak constantly of partnership and want to set up participation councils

Women on Waves ship at Dublin and Cork

Ireland's silence about abortion was dramatically broken when the Women on Waves ship visited Dublin and Cork.

That's capitalism

Crooked banks, arms deals and Nazis

-----