Funky names

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Wed Jul 11 10:48:29 PDT 2001

Frank Zappa's daughter is named Moon Unit, but that was as much a satirical stab at "sixties overindulgence" as it was overindulgence itself. She goes by Moon, which doesn't sound nearly as weird. I think one of the Carradine's named their kid Free or something like that (or was that Cher?)? I'm probably mixing (or making) a lot of this up, but wasn't it the same kid who was breast fed on Johnny Carson at age 7 or so during an interview? I'm definitely getting old. I asked for "Spring Water" at a food stand and the person taking my order looked puzzled and looked at her co-worker, who explained "that's what they used to call bottled water when it first came out, before your time"; I asked if my son could get his scoop of ice cream without the jimmies and the waitress looked at me like i was from Mars as my older son screamed "what the hell are jimmies?! nobodies used that word for twenty years!" tell me it's a regional thing, please..

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Doss [mailto:chrisd at russiajournal.com] Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 12:31 PM To: 'lbo-talk at lists.panix.com' Subject: RE: Funky names

A friend of mine in high school was named Trout Fishing In America Rogers.

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 09:46:16 -0400 From: Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca Subject: Michsel Pugliese's Fw: Fw:Re: Mommy, what's an intellectual?

>Just the other
> night, she was telling me about someone she knows
> whose parents named her the chinese equivalent of
> Love The Peoples Army! She wasn't joking! I mean you
> have to be on the level of fanaticism of well...

At least that was "legitimate". How about the fanaticism brought on by certain capitalistic bodies which encourages parents with the last name of "White" to name daughters "Snow", or those poor unfortunates whose parents, ahem, "overindulged" in the Sixties and ended up naming the poor kid something like "Moon Glow" (although this last might be the equivalent of an urban legend; nobody is THAT nuts, right?).