Teamsters, Hoffa Jr. and Rank Opportunism On The Left

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 11 13:54:39 PDT 2001

LeoCasey at aol.com wrote:

>The report forwarded on the Teamsters was written by Greg Tarpinian of the
>Labor Research Association, a group which has been a primary front group of
>the Communist Party with regard to its labor movement work. It continues a
>pro-Hoffa perspective that the LRA and the CPUSA has held since prior to the
>election of Hoffa.
>
>Why would the CPUSA take a position so contrary to the rank-and-file movement
>in the Teamsters Union?

Leaving aside the Hoffa question for the moment, as far as I know, Tarpinian is no longer associated with the CPUSA. As I recall, his ex-wife was Gus Hall's secretary, but he split with both the wife and the party some years ago. It's quite possible that old habits die hard, and that he's taking an anti-Trot position, but I don't think it's out of following Party discipline.

Doug