zionism

Seth Ackerman sackerman at FAIR.org
Thu Jul 12 11:13:32 PDT 2001

Nathan Newman wrote:

> ----------

. Nathan, it might be interesting to talk about those early strands of Zionism. But you're straining to give "Zionism" a meaning it hasn't had in 80 years. You ask why people attack "Zionism" instead of the Israeli state? Because the vast majority of Zionists and the vast majority of Israelis believe the two are identical. In fact, they believe that anyone who rejects a Jewish-only state in most or all of Palestine is *not* a Zionist. You're trying to claim membership in a club that won't have you. As Noam Chomsky says of these early non-nationalist Zionisms, they comprise an ideology that today would be called anti-Zionism.

Seth