RES: zionism

Zak McGregor zak at mighty.co.za
Thu Jul 12 14:10:21 PDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 23:26:04 -0300 "Alexandre Fenelon" <afenelon at zaz.com.br> wrote:

> -I don´t think the word genocide is correct here. Off course, I´m not
> -an Israeli apologist. But Israel´s scorched land policy towards the/
> -Palestinians seems to be designed to force them to leave their lands,
> -but not to exterminate them. But on your question, I don´t know why
> -it is happening. There were a lot of discussion on this events in the
> -beginning, but as it turned a low intensity counter insurrectional
> war,
> -our interest (including mine) decreased a lot. Also must be
> considered
> -that the Palestinian movement seems to be unable to offer a
> progressive
> -alternative to the current situation (and the Israeli left has a par-
> -ticularly repelent stance towards the current events)

Hmmm - I am concerned that the people sufferring under rather harsh oppression should be expected to provide a progressive alternative, other than overcoming their rather desperate situation. I agree that ideally there would be some forward-looking solutions proposed to every situation, however sometimes it may not be possible to get that vision in place, for a variety of reasons.

On the other hand, I've seen here in South Africa the results of the failure of the progressive movements to take the initiative and work for more than just the elimination of Apartheid. What is that result? A nation liberated from legislated racial divisions but which has replaced them with a horrible pigswill of business appeasement and grassroots placation. The gap between the elite and the workers is greater than ever (I have *no* figures to back this up, just first-hand observation). The apathetic potential in the working class has been lost, unions have been weakened and the ANC, once the heroes of the liberation struggle, seem to have totally sold out in the interests of foreign investment and self-enrichment.

Ciao

Zak

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Money capers: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/14017.html