lbo-talk-digest V1 #4593

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Thu Jul 12 14:34:44 PDT 2001

At 05:24 PM 07/12/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>Ridiculous unless "colonialism" is stretched to mean every form of
>population transfer in history. Settlement is not colonialism. Most
>colonialism was never about mass settlement but about maximum economic
>exploitation with minimum settlement.

This is why it's important to read history. The zionist leaders were especially vocal about their ability to manage the "locals" first for the Turks, then for the English, then for the Americans. It was very definitely a colonialist move. The reason given was not religious conversion but cultural uplift. Some settlement is colonialism.

As for the uniqueness of zionism: they happen to be spending my money (taxed by the US) and I would like them to stop. There is no doubt in my mind that without US support, Israeli policy toward the Palestinians would be very different.

Joanna Bujes