Probably a stupid question about consumers

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Fri Jul 13 08:51:16 PDT 2001

For the Federal sector, the Federal budget Historical Statistics volume has a chapter on investment, including R&D and education & training. The Analytical Perspectives volume has interesting (to a goof like me) chapters on a Federal balance sheet and capital budget.

For the public sector as a whole, the Nat'l Income and Product Accounts separate consumption and investment.

By coincidence I was looking at the Federal numbers the other day. Overall Federal investment is negative, according to the Gov -- depreciation exceeds new spending. The source of this is the defense sector. Take that out and net investment is positive, though no great shakes.

mbs

Where can you find the time series data on this? Has anyone taken up Eisner's suggestion and developed time-series estimates for how much of "G" has been govt. consumption and how much govt. investment?

Michael McIntyre