John Makin, AEI

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 13 19:44:04 PDT 2001

If you look at the 5 year trend of the DJ index it has more than doubled from under 6000 in the third quarter of 1996 until the second quarter of 1999 and since then has trended basically sideways between 12000 and 10000 since then. Where is the burst bubble at least in the market indices? What you have is a yo you motion within a 2,000 limit. Consumer confidence is apparently going up. The bubble metaphor seems inappropriate. When a bubble bursts the whole collapses. This is not even close to what is happening to indices, as for the underlying economy I am sure Doug or someone will have the figures. I doubt they represent any sort of collapse.

The market indices have levelled and no doubt for some of the reasons that Makin gives. But as yet there does not seem to be any disastrous downturn in market indices as a result of a peak being reached. The present indices are not all that far from the original peak. ttp://quote.yahoo.com/q?s=^DJI&d=c&t=5y&l=on&z=b&q=l Cheers, Ken Hanly

Here is a quote from Makin:

The Linkage between Financial Markets and the Real Economy

The bursting of an equity market bubble that leads to a prolonged collapse of the real economy is the manifestation of a most basic and enduring theme of macroeconomics: the linkage between financial markets and the real economy. A powerful negative shock to the financial sector, like the collapse of a stock market bubble, sets in motion a deceptively straightforward set of events that seems, somehow, to leave policymakers caught like deer in the headlights. Leading up to the bubble, a virtual prosperity mania sets in, with households contemplating undreamed-of wealth, firms bidding for and stockpiling precious skilled labor, and governments marveling at-and promptly spending-tax revenues that far exceed their most optimistic expectations. The end comes, as it did during the past year in the United States, after extraordinary events like expected, unfailing growth of 25 to 30 percent per annum have come to be seen as ordinary. That perception makes investors view as unremarkable the purchase of equities at prices 200 times current earnings, or at more than ten times the normal price-earnings multiple. Such pricing cannot be

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Friday, July 13, 2001 2:28 PM Subject: Re: John Makin, AEI