"I tremble for my country..." (was zionism)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jul 14 07:36:00 PDT 2001

>Max Sawicky wrote:
>
>>In the Middle East, it's not quite as funny, since there
>>is a small but positive chance that the Jews of Israel
>>could be driven into the sea.
>
>How would that happen? The Israeli army would kill anyone who tried,
>and anyone who looked like there was a remote chance s/he'd try.
>It's this sort of fantasy of vulnerability that's used to justify
>all kinds of repressive horrors.
>
>Doug

The Israeli fantasy of vulnerability flies in the face of the reality of overwhelming asymmetry of power between Israel & Palestinians, but it lives on nonetheless because it springs from a kernel of moral truth which has to be covered up by the fantasy to maintain power.

Thomas Jefferson wrote in his "Notes on the State of Virginia":

***** Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever: that considering numbers, nature and natural means only, a revolution of the wheel of fortune, an exchange of situation, is among possible events: that it may become probable by supernatural interference! The Almighty has no attribute which can take side with us in such a contest.

<http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/JEFFERSON/ch18.html> *****

God stands with the oppressed, & justice is on the side of the exiled & persecuted -- who believes in this morality tale more fervently than the Jews? Israel must tremble, as Jefferson did, if it reflects on the fact that it has become a nation that has oppressed & exiled another, thus putting itself out of God's favor, if not out of the U.S. government's. Only the fantasy of vulnerability can ideologically restore Israel on God's side.

Yoshie