John Makin, AEI

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 14 09:42:01 PDT 2001

But wouldnt institutional investors and mutual funds take a more conservative stance to investing. In fact in some cases woudnt they be required to do so? Is there the same bubble in mutual funds indices? As I understand it NASDAQ was originally formed to facilitate trading in over the counter stocks. The NASDAQ index no doubt contains most of the high-risk knowledge economy and dot.com stocks. Werent they the locus of the bubble--as indeed it was. The Dow JOnes would represent the older economy and long established companies woudlnt it.? The bubble was a localised bubble centred in the New Economy sector.

Even the NASDAQ shows a doubling between the third quarter of 1996 and the present. Over 5 years that is 20 percent a year, not exactly a disaster for those who invested then. Of course that is no comfort for those who invested at the peak and expected 2 and a half times that.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

P.S. Re Doyle's comments. I find many of the postings that are not directly part of any discussion are useful. Things that Ian, Mark, Pugliese Doug and others post. I send them on to key people who again send them on to others thus facilitating the spread of information significant to the left. P.S.S. I havent read Wall Street as yet...What is waiting for me in Hell?

----- Original Message ----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, July 14, 2001 8:53 AM Subject: Re: John Makin, AEI