Teamsters, Hoffa Jr. and Rank Opportunism On The Left

Mon Jul 16 07:34:27 PDT 2001

>>> LeoCasey at aol.com 07/13/01 05:01PM >>>

I took considerable exception to those who argued that _any and all_ opposition to China's entry into the WTO constituted a return to the anti-Asian labor movement racism of the turn of the century. I believe that such a contention is a cheap rhetorical sleight of hand that was used to avoid substantive argumentation on the issue.

((((((((

CB: One of the indications that gives rise to a suspicion of racism nowadays is someone claiming that allegations of racism are cheap rhetorical sleights of hand, "playing the race card" and the like

(((((((

But when one makes the objection I did, it is necessary to draw a clear line of demarcation [oh my god, I sound positively Proyectish with that phrase] between those who did appeal to racism, such as Hoffa/Buchanan, and those who had a principled opposition to Chinese entry into the WTO, an opposition that had as one of its primary concerns the effect such a development will have on Chinese workers.

Leo Casey