Long-term Goals of the Palestinian Authority?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 16 15:31:48 PDT 2001

Chomsky draws a parallel with the prelude to the Gulf War:

"If Iraq had offered to withdraw from 95% of Kuwait, keeping a greatly expanded Kuwait City and with vast infrastructure projects integrating Iraqi settlements into Iraq and breaking up Kuwait into effectively isolated enclaves, would those have been praised as `magnanimous concessions,' and would culpability for violence be laid at the door of Kuwaitis resisting the occupation? An occupying army can withdraw, and if it doesn't, those under occupation have a right to resist. How they should exercise this right is another question, but since the US government is paying for the occupation and its violence, and providing it the required diplomatic support, it seems to me that we -- you and I -- have a more obvious target for our actions and protests than the brutal and corrupt Palestinian authority."

--CGE