For Northeast comrades

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 04:06:24 PDT 2001

>>>There's an activate northeast listserv that was
generated out of a conference from students across the northeast. In some cases, these networks could be consolidated. In cases where the networks were built upon personal relationships, they should proceed with personal relationships, rather than simply merging email lists of people who have not met in person and who have worked together and learned to trust each other in the streets. The networking across campus-community lines could definately be strengthened. I also know that there are several other networks that function primarily over the internet that are close to the way students are operating to organize for anti-globalization campaigns. NEGAN is a northeast antiglobalization network. My sense of it is that many of its members are boston/new england and nyc based. Another collective pocket is the NYC Direct action network, which meets in person and communicates a great deal over the internet.

This doesn't even scratch some of the networks that are not student or email based and definately is no where near being an exhaustive list of the universe of the organizing networks in the northeast.

It does seem that networking is occurring at two or three levels.

1) we're networked within our locality (ithaca sharks, rochester economic justice, Syracuse Peace Council, Buffalo activist network, etc)

2) our local networks are increasingly interconnected and interdependent. We are increasingly aware of each others' campaigns and willing to commit resources (including our bodies) to support each other's struggles.

3) our local networks are connected to larger action-oriented and movement-oriented organizations like STARC, the Student Alliance To Reform Corporations, or anti-globalization action mobilizations like the Mobilization for Global Justice in DC for a16 or the facilitated network (through the Student Sierra Coalition) that organized internationally for the Quebec city demonstrations.

Hope this is helpful as a start on getting a grasp on our locations within our diverse organizing webs. Networks are distributed creatures, so centralization doesn't really make them more effective, especially when they're based upon direct democracy. Having a clear sense of who's in the network and how to work with those folks is incredibly important to being effective. The connectedness, breadth, and commitment of the people in our organizing web makes it effective.

These are my thoughts on what I see developing and what I'd like to see further develop. The Buffalo organizing for the FTAA is a good example of regional solidarity organizing in conjunction with a local network.

Best wishes in peace, Zac Syruckus, NY

--- khury pea <aff82 at hotmail.com> wrote:

Friends,

There will be meeting in ALBANY on SUNDAY, JULY 28 for activists in the Northeast Region to discuss anti-globalization organizing in the Northeast. Specifically, we'll focus on the actions being planned for New York City in conjunction with the WTO's meeting in Qatar. We'll also discuss what we want in the Northeast: a regional network? A permenant network or one just to organize these actions? These questions and more will be on the table.

PLEASE spread the word!! Can it be sent out over the Ithaca Sharks and a22 Buffalo lists? Any questions can be directed to me personally or the email for the group here: NortheastResistance at email.com . Solidarity, khury

ooooooooo Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ***Visit http://www.yaysoft.com for the latest in computers, politics and strange off-the-wall news and discussions!*** ICQ # 8616001 ooooo