Paul On'Neill in NYT on helping the poor

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 17 20:51:43 PDT 2001

"Not all capital investments are equal. Economic history has
> taught us, for example, that investing in agriculture while laying the
> foundation for diversifying into competitive, privately owned
> manufacturing is a key to development."

DR Redmond writes:

If only. Land reform, i.e. political redistribution, was the key to development in Taiwan, South Korea, and China;

I add:

and japan, I think? Seems there was some kind of land reform (instituted by the US?) after the war, not sure how extensive/effective it was, but my ex-in-laws were affected by it...

Les