army not yet fighting in nepal

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Tue Jul 17 20:55:07 PDT 2001

Johannes reported a couple of days ago that:

> According to nepalnews.com Nepalese army and Maoist guerillas are already
> engaged in fighting. Nepalese 'security sources' are claiming to have killed
> at least 60 Maoists:
> http://www.nepalnews.com.np/archive/2001/july/arc240.htm#16
> http://www.nepalnews.com.np/archive/2001/july/arc240.htm#14

But after some days of confused and conflicting stories, it now appears that the army has not engaged. No-one has been killed. Instead the army seems to have backed off.

Apparently Kantipur newspaper got a reporter to Nuwagaon. Various "human rights" negotiators are supposedly also on the way. Comrade Prachanda has offered to swap the captured cops for kids being held prisoner.

Prime Minister Koirala is promising everyone (including his enemies in his own party) that he will resign any day now, but he seems to want to see the civil war underway before he finally departs. Probably for New York City for "medical attention."

"Go by a plane, go by a train, I don't care, just go, just go...."

john mage

Locals say rebels, army have ‘moved away’

KOL [Kantipur Online] Report

NUWAGAON, July 18 - Contrary to claims by the government about the Royal Nepal Army (RNA) surrounding the rebels and the 69 policemen being held captive here, villagers say both the army and rebels have moved away from village.

The situation here looks calm and peaceful five days after the firing on army helicopters on Friday where at least three armymen were injured.

According to the local villagers, the rebels had kept the captured policemen in the VDC for the first two nights at two different spots but moved on to Gauri Village after the encounter with the Army on Friday, taking advantage of the fact that foul weather had prevented RNA from dropping reinforcement at the troubled zone.

According to the local residents, the army had camped one night at Bharelichaur of Nuwagaon. The following two nights, they had camped 15 minutes away at Bhalajung Danda. However, the villagers denied the government claim that the army had “surrounded” and held the rebels.

Hari Basnet, a local resident of the village, said the army had not done much except talking to the villagers about what their opinion on the operation was and asked for utensils.

On Monday, the troops left for Linglung, and later to Jungarkaula on the border between Salyan and Rolpa, said a teacher who had trekked back from the area.

The tense situation that existed here on Friday has turned calm since Saturday and villagers are mocking the news reports on state-run Radio Nepal that claims the Nuwagaon having been surrounded by the RNA personnel.

The rebels are said to have begun patrolling the Holeri Village where these policemen were abducted from. The rebels had even organized a brief program at Gauri Village on Sunday “displaying” the captured policemen.