paul o'neill on helping the poor

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 17 22:39:07 PDT 2001

From: B. DeLong:

> There's something wrong with helping farmers grow more food?

from J. Golowka:

Increasing the amount of food grown will only help baby boomers get fatter.

If we want to fight world hunger then we have to change the distribution

system.

>From another list:
> > > Back in May, (someone) posted a news article...
In the article a World Bank economist was quoted...The context is this: There is a world-wide glut of coffee, has been for years...:   "In the late 1980s, opposition from the Reagan administration forced the collapse of the International Coffee Agreement, a decades-old, cartel-like pact between coffee producing and consuming nations that guaranteed relatively high prices. After the pact ended in 1989 and the market was deregulated, prices plummeted.

At the same time, the World Bank and its cousin, the Asian Development Bank, gave generous loans to Vietnam to plant huge amounts of low-quality robusta coffee - in line with international lending institutions' mandate to stimulate low-cost production and end market inefficiencies.

The strategy succeeded with a vengeance, as Vietnam went from being one of the world's smallest coffee producers to being second-largest, after Brazil."

So here we have the World Bank making loans to produce more of a crop of which there was already a glut.   "Vietnam has become a successful producer," said Don Mitchell, principal economist at the World Bank. "In general, we consider it to be a huge success."

Although Mitchell acknowledges the damage to nations that cannot compete with Vietnam's $1-per-day labor costs or Brazil's mechanized plantations - such as Guatemala, with its $3-per-day minimum wage - he said the losers must switch to farming other crops.">>>