Positivism [was Re: Ethical foundations of the left]

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:24:26 PDT 2001

Yeah, that's right. I should add that my Michigan PhD is in philosophy and political science, so I'm trained as a U-M number cruncher in polisci, worked with David Singer, etc. When I was doing my polisci coursework, the classes would start with a "methods" section restating as "scientific method" the tenets of high logical empiricism circa 1956. I would make merciless fun of this stuff, and suggest that my profs and fellow grad students disregard it. I guess things have not improved since I left Michigan.

As to whether postpositivist analytic philosophers "all" reject the analytical-synthetic distinction and the fact-value distinction, "all" is a strong word. I'd say that most of us trained at the high-powered analytical schools are more less Quinean, which doesn't mean necessarily, that you don't think there are any necessary truths or truths in virtue of meaning (sorry about the double negative), but that you think that necessity and analyticity are relative. Some statements have more of it than others.

As to the fact-value distinction, although _I_ think that Quinean principles totally undermine it in the same way as the A/S distinction, a lot of philosophers put a lot of weight on it, including,e.g., Donald Davidson, a pragmatist philosopher (so he says) who is generally named in the same breath as Quine as a major figure of postpositivist neopragmatism. I think D is overrated, but he's clearly a major figure. So rejection of the latter is more controversial.

--jks