Ethical foundations of the left

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Jul 20 00:31:34 PDT 2001

Interesting idea. I know Rorty wishes that the distinction between literature (among other modes of discourse) and philosophy would "dissolve" (in the parlance of analytical philosophy). Perhaps the distinction between politics and ethics is illegitimate. The reason I introduced this thread in the first place, though, was to find out the moral grounds for left goals. It's quite easy to espouse a desire for, say, equality, but quite another to state exactly why you believe its attainment to be a desirable end. I fear that sometimes a given Marxist's value set is scarcely more a result of critical reflection than that of his counterpart in the Christian Coalition.

-- Luke

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenneth MacKendrick" <kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 7:32 PM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left