Conservative Promotes Racial Divisions to Undermine WelfareState

David Hearne ottercrk at sover.net
Fri Jul 20 10:31:35 PDT 2001

>Speaking of National Review Online, you should check out their lame
attempt to read Buffy the Vampire Slayer in right-wing terms--it's hilariously stupid, actually, and riddled with inaccuracies. (Sadly--or not--I'm very well qualified to judge this.)

I remember a critique of "King of the Hill" by Rich Lowry, a National Review contributor. (I believe that was his name.) Lowry praised an episode where Hank Hill resisted sending his son to a sex ed class. Lowry cited this episode as proof of how good middle-class Americans are resisting the deviancy of such courses. He must not have watched the whole episode because Hank was the only parent who allowed his son to take the class and his wife ended up teaching it.

I also remember another NR writer who called "The Bicycle Thief" a "conservative film" because it apparently showed the importance of property to individual well-being. And who could forget George Will's "A Yankee Doodle Springsteen?"

Right-wingers are often ill-informed when they attack popular culture. They're even worse when they try to praise it.

-- David