Ethical foundations of the left

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 21 11:43:36 PDT 2001

I dont understand. Both modus ponens and modus tollens are valid. There is no question of testing their validity except aa an exercise for students in constructing truth tables. Are you talking about soundness?

Cheers, Ken Hanly

I agree with P that in general, a strong intuition trumps an apparantly strong argument for a counterinituitive conclusion. It's a pragmatist platitude taht one man's modus ponens is another man's modus tollens, that if an argument has an unpalatable conclusion, we might do well to reassess the truth of the premises and test the validity of the reasoning. This is also Rawls' view. It is the basic idea that the notion of reflective equilibrium i supposed to capture.

--jks