Protester Shot in Head, Run Over in Genoa

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 21 13:19:59 PDT 2001

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:

> > Backing the car over the victim supports
> > the presumption that the shooting itself
> > was uncalled for, and in any case it
> > was gratuitous & vicious.
>
> this is much more to the point. the phrase that comes to mind is, "out
> of control" ... the politics of police/military shooting
> rock-throwing civilians dead *is* pretty clear cut, in my opinion.

And, in a sense, very much in control -- of the same people who control wealth and power. James Connolly, executed by the British in 1916, wrote

"One great source of the strength of the ruling class has ever been their willingness to kill in defense of their power and privileges. Let their power be once attacked either by foreign foes or by domestic revolutionaries, and at once we see the rulers prepared to kill and kill and kill. The readiness of the ruling class to order killing, the small value the ruling class has ever set upon human life, is in marked contrast to the reluctance of all revolutionaries to shed blood."

-CGE