Protester Shot in Head, Run Over in Genoa

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 21 18:46:49 PDT 2001

--- Max Sawicky <sawicky at bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> As ever, when I see the news clips, I think
> of what a politically uncommitted person is
> supposed to conclude. (My usual preoccupation
> with politics.) There are mobs of people
> clearly fighting police, not playing pitty-pat.
> One of these people is killed. Instead of
> approaching the police about to heave a fire
> extinguisher, he could have been somewhere else,
> doing something else. Criticism of police in
> this context lacks basic credibility.

The story isn't as straight as you make it out to be. A gun with live ammunition can be used in other than lethal ways to handle a situation--police are trained to respond to dangerous situations with this in mind--and it's much more mortally intimidating than a fire extinguisher. Moreover, in addition to being below the cop, the man shot does not appear overly strapping. The cop could have shot above, or to the side.

> movement without basic credibility isn't
> going anywhere. If you can't get a simple
> story like this straight . . .

Alec