Proposals for a Left Family/Social Welfare Policy. Was: Conservative Promotes Racial Divisions to Undermine Welfare State

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Sat Jul 21 20:28:25 PDT 2001

> Gordon tells us that
> > The
> > anarchist Left already has a proposal for family policy: to
> > allow people to form such attachments as they please,
> > without interference or coercion, especially by the State.

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema:
> This seems as simplistic as most anarchist prescriptions. ...

Anarchist prescriptions can be made as complex as you please. In my experience, though, there's little demand for the complex variety -- once people apprehend that something elaborate stands behind a simple remark which challenges their fundamental belief systems, they find something else to talk about.

In the case of familial relations, it's quite true that bad things may happen absent the State. However, one ought not compare these with some idealization of bourgeois bureaucratic Welfare, but with its reality, which is quite another thing. This is aside (but maybe not too far aside) from the full actuality of the State, the violence on which it rests and which must be re-enacted every day, so that the bureaucrats can take their seats and dispose of the affairs of the lower orders.