Notes on Disability History

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Jul 23 09:51:37 PDT 2001

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> I think the general problem in this literature is the complete lack of
> contact with and understanding of the long tradition of radical and
> progressive history, theory, and literature. This problem is typified
> by the complete absence of any mention of Marx or even the use of more
> common european sources of historical and cultural theory. This is why
> Russell, Stiker and Charlton stand out as exceptions.

For theory one has to go to the Brits. They HAVE written primarily from a theoretical vantage point. Also they have rightly criticized US disability movement for lacking theory.

Good for
> them. It is particularly true of Stiker. [Note to Marta. I just read
> your Monthly Review article last night. You should read the Stiker
> work above. It will help nuance thinking through the early transition
> into industrial capitalist society and the changes this wrought on
> people with disabilities. Michael Foucault is very good for this too.)

I just discovered an Australian writer, Brendan Gleeson who has written "Geography of Disability" Routledge 1999. He is a materialist as well -- more so than even Michael Oliver, the British disability theorist who has done most of the ground work. Vic Finkelstein was the first in 1980 to present a historical account of industrial capitalism -- also British. I now cite these writers because the American resources (except for Charlton) are so vacuous.

I will read the Stiker book soon. It has been on my list for a long time but now that you recommend it, I will move it to the top.

No one has written the political economy of disablement, however. Though I have taken on the topic in various articles, it deserves a book. The 2002 edition of Social Register will be publishing one of them in October. Hopefully Disability & Society will publish a piece I have written "What Disability Civil Rights Cannot Do: Employment and Political Economy."

You've absolutely got your finger on the pulse of what is mediocre and the propaganda spun into disability "history" in the US-- I detest "disability studies." I've seen very little worthwhile come out of it. So Chuck, are you saying you aren't or are considering writing the Berkeley story? Marta