Protester Shot in Head, Run Over in Genoa

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 10:58:44 PDT 2001

Kelley Walker wrote:

> At 10:52 PM 7/22/01 -0700, Alec Ramsdell wrote:
> >Where were we?
> >Alec
>
> you were going to show me how people are class
> conscious enough to
> understand this:

Oh. Well. This is simply a rallying cry, it sounds like to me. In drawing out the proverbial kernel of truth to it, the point is not whether or how some vaguely grouped and defined stratum of folk understand politics (but could I read minds I would tell you). The point is how class rhetoric might appear more often to foster class consciousness as a kind of political awareness, and to show the untidy reality of class violence that culture and consciousness industries, for instance, serve to hide or excuse. That's my reading. One could argue whether or not this disturbs the status quo, but more protests are planned, and class lines and language are a part of them.

Alec