Ethical foundations of the left

Mon Jul 23 12:14:04 PDT 2001

Deja vu. Bernie Siebers and I used to have this discussion about happy slaves/unhappy masters in West Quad right there in Ann Arbor in about 1968.

Hey , I'm going see if I can find Bernie through a google search after all these years.

CB

>>> jkschw at hotmail.com 07/23/01 02:49PM >>>
Read Herzog's "Happy Slaves." But look, I said it is actually very hard to show that slavery per se (the ownership of other human beings as property) and not its normal incidents (abuse, oppression, exploitation, etc.) is evil. I don't want to get into the argument now. But it's my view that slavery per se is an almost umitigatable evil, even if it's very nice, voluntary chosen and accepted, and materially better than the alternatives. And, dogmatically, nothing will change my mind on that. Moreover, I believe this is a fairly common view.

--jks