Protester Shot in Head, Run Over in Genoa

Joe R. Golowka joeG at ieee.org
Mon Jul 23 11:50:26 PDT 2001

From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>
> At 12:54 PM 7/23/01 -0400, Todd A. wrote, inter alia:
> >not sarcasm)? I personally doubt the effectiveness of protest of any
vein,
> >especially without good politics to back it up, as Yoshie mentioned. I
>

> Yep. I cannot think of a single historical instance of a government, let
> alone an economic system, being abolished by a protest / revolution from
> below.

Um, Spain 1936. France 1793.

> Governments are toppled by other governments, while protesters
> /revolutionaries, like hyenas, move in only after the lions did the
> killing. Only in romantic mythologies a la Star Wars, the Trots, or the
> militias - a bunch of hicks with sticks and guns can defeat the Evil
Empire.

Isn't that exactly what Mao did? There are many National Liberation movements which did the above - the United States (1776), Vietnam, etc. Let's not forget barbarians invading the Roman Empire.

> I also think that you are right on the target when you say that what
> average folk really want is a peaceful life without being harassed by
> anyone else.

Which is something that cannot be provided (except for a small minority) under capitalism and the state.

Joe