The History of Disability

Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca Archer.Todd at ic.gc.ca
Tue Jul 24 09:21:44 PDT 2001

Leo said:

>But it seems to me that you are also very close to arguing a "right to
life"
>position here. Shouldn't a mother have the ability to choose not to bring a

>child into the world with cystic fibrosis, for example? All things being
>equal, is it not right for a mother to want to spare her children and
herself
>pain? To wish a long, full life without undue physical hardship for them?

(Woo, Leo! Were you smiling evilly while typing this one?)

I suppose, all other things being equal, you're right. Buuuuuut . . . all things are not equal. Following that logic, one then can conclude that too many "unfit" (by any criteria) working-class fetuses is a bad drain on the capitalists' pocketbooks as well as on that of their mothers' (with predictable results). There never would be "unfit" bourgeois-class fetuses since their parents would have enough money to deal with their situation. Hmmm. . . I sense a good science-fiction story here.

Todd <smiling evilly>