Ethical foundations of the left

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Jul 24 13:29:40 PDT 2001

>I'm not sure what you are saying here. Are you concerned that your bias in
> favor of freedom or equality is a prejudice that might evaporate if you
> thought about it hard enough? I'm not. I hope I would understand freedom >
or equality better if I thought about them harder. But I would reject the
>law of gravity before I rejected the equality of humankind or the priority
of
> freedom.

On the basis of argument, I long ago (if that's possible someone who's 18) rejected the primacy of both freedom and equality over all else. I did this before I was introduced to formal philosophy because it seemed more plausible to me that both freedom and equality are of great instrumental value in promoting general well-being. Now, perhaps such a conversion is only possible for one with a natural affinity for argument, and said affinity has now drawn me to activities like taking philosophy courses and subscribing to lbo-talk. But, I think (or maybe I just intuit) that the truth is that argument is quite persuasive when reasoning creatures engage in it.

> Well, one'self is OK, But what do you mean "others"--other philosophers? >
Academics? The cops? George W. Bush? Members of the working class?

My experience leads me to believe that I'll have my greatest success with the latter three. Oneself, philosophers, and academics are tough nuts to crack.

> Important for you, or for everyone? Or for other "intellectuals"? Would
>you discourage topologists or art historians from pursuing their crafts?
> What about lawyers? As for other fun activities, I personally think that
sex > is more important than moral philosophy, although I do both of them
>when I can. (Not at the same time.) But then I have been accused on this >
list of being a lawyer with a large libido. We'll leave it at that.

In my experience, taking a sufficient degree of interest in one's chosen career or sex life is something most of us do with little prompting. I'm not so sure that that's true when it comes to moral argument (even Bertrand Russell preferred fucking).

> I mean, could an argument make you say, oh, shit, now I see! Posner is
>right, the interests of the bosses are more important than those of the
>workers! Get me off this list and onto the Mises list!

If the bosses happened to be "utility monsters," yes. But I think there's a better chance that someday the Posners of the world will recognize that market arrangements don't serve the interests of anyone but the bosses. I'd quote Keynes regarding "The wickedest of men..." if I could remember the rest of it off the top of my head.

> You're a philosophy student at Michigan? Talk to Peter Railton, Elizabeth
> Anderson, and Don Herzog aboutthese things. Tell 'em I sent you. They'll >
set you right.

I'm a sophomore trying to decide between English and philosophy. In any event, I plan on whoring myself out as a lawyer.

-- Luke

----- Original Message ----- From: "Justin Schwartz" <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, July 23, 2001 11:42 AM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left