Ethical foundations of the left

Luke Benjamin Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Jul 24 15:18:11 PDT 2001

> I think you need to immerse yourself in historical materialism a bit, and
> not just from the theoretical point of view, but from the historical one.
> The Posners of the word _do not care_ that capitalist markets serve only
the
> interests of the bosses. In fact, they may regard that as a positive
> advantage.

Sorry. That did sound a bit naive (the preceding may stand as the understatment of this millineum). However, I'm certain that defenders of the status quo sincerely believe that their arguments are valid and sound, even when said arguments are motivated (and, most of the time, this is a subconcious process) out of self-interest. Furthermore, many people whose self-interest is dependant upon altering the status quo are duped by those arguments. If it it were otherwise, W. certainly wouldn't have come within a half-million votes of winning the last election. One doesn't need to be a student of historical materialism from any vantage point to recognize that.

-- Luke