Protester Shot in Head, Run Over in Genoa

Wed Jul 25 09:43:28 PDT 2001

>>> furuhashi.1 at osu.edu 07/25/01 09:53AM >>>
>Yoshie said:

>>Italian comrades can make some political hay out of public sentiments
>>against Berlusconi & militarization of policing.
>
>I'm not sure what point you're making, Yoshie. Could you please explain a
>bit more?
>
>Todd

:

-clip-

``Killers, killers,'' the protesters shouted as police in riot gear and with teargas canisters at the ready kept watch near the central Via del Corso. -clip-

One protester, Carlo Giuliani, 23, was killed by a police bullet when he and other demonstrators assaulted a police van.

TRIBUTE

-clip-

Last weekend's demonstration in Genoa began with a huge banner reading ``You: G8, Us: 6 million.''

In a tribute to the dead protester, the banner that led the demonstration in Rome read ``You G8, Us: 5,999,999.''

The protesters demanded the resignation of Interior Minister Claudio Scajola, a senior figure in the conservative Forza Italia party led by Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.

The opposition center-left Olive Tree bloc, which lost a general election to Berlusconi last May, has put forward a formal no-confidence motion against Scajola in parliament.

-clip-*****

We should learn from the example set by Italian leftists.

Yoshie

((((((

CB: Isn't what Yoshie is saying obvious and obviously true ? Here in Detroit there was a protest of the killing and Italian police mob . "Think global and act local" is an old slogan which now seems prophetic.