The History of Disability

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Jul 25 17:10:48 PDT 2001

Is my prejudice against having an arm cut off or losing function in my legs without reason? Certainly, if both of those events occured my life would still be very much worth living, as it is for most all disabled people. I never said that people should be coerced to abort a fetus under any conditions. However, since a fetus has no right to life (or, more frankly, any interest in living), it is certainly permissable to have an abortion for just about any reason. A potentially debilitating illness is certainly reasonable grounds to attempt to have another child, I think.

If your going to attack me as a bigot, that project is going to entail a debunking of my "prejudices." Deriding me as an insensitive, prejudiced jerk who cannot be reasoned with seems to me to be an overreach on your part.

-- Luke