Ethical foundations of the left

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 25 14:42:55 PDT 2001

Well call it a belief if you like. My point would still hold for beliefs. Just as with intuitions the belief might not be changed by arguments philosophical or otherwise. But the belief wouldnt trump or win and so forth.

A belief is a rule of behavior. Why would you want to hold that? What are you sayiing other than that people who bellieve x behave as if x were true? I would think rules of behavior might be the sort of thing you find in the bus or wherever : No swearing etc.

So what behavior is implied by my belief that it is raining or it is not raining?

I understand the term "illiocutionary" as refering to a type of linguistic act namely one in which by saying something you are doing something. For example, in saying "I promise" in certain circumstances I perform the act of promising. According to John Austin a number of verbs when used in the first person present tense are performative, and as such illocutionary. Other examples would be " I christen" " I forgive" and so on.

Austin's primary classification of linguistic acts consists of: locutionary acts (incorporating three distinct acts); locutionary acts; perlocutionary acts. For example if I utter the string "I promise to take you camping" then I do at least three linguistic acts. I say that I will take you (the kids say) camping. This is the locutionary act. I promise I will take them camping. This is the illocutionary act. Let us say they jump up and down for joy. I cause them to jump up and down for joy. This is the perlocutionary act.

John Searle's book Speech Acts carries on Austin's work to some degree and influenced Habermas as I recall. A more formalistic approach to speech acts is found in Jerrold Katz and John Ross.

A belief is not illocutionary because it is not a linguistic act.

The term "intuitition" is used in a variety of ways, some technical as in Kants forms of intuition. However I understood Justin to be referring to pre-philosophical thoughts or feelings. These of course may involve propositions. We think or feel that punishing the innocent is not right. Strong intuitions of this sort are not waiting to be recognised nor verified I should think. In fact as Justin claims often they will not be regarded as shown to be false through ordinary argument or philosophical arguments. Indeed utilitarianism is sometimes claimed to be inadquate as a moral theory because it conflicts with intuitions such as that with regard to punishing the innocent. For the utilitarian it would seem legitimate to punish the innocent if this act maximised the good. Anyway it seems that a religious person could very well feel so strongly that God would take care of him or her that the person would jump out of the plane thinking everything would be OK.

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Kenneth MacKendrick <kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 12:47 AM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left

> At 09:01 PM 7/24/01 -0500, you wrote:
> >But if all you mean is that good arguments (philosophical or otherwise)
do