Ethical foundations of the left

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Jul 26 07:03:27 PDT 2001

Thomas Scanlon:
> "Why be moral? You answer this question by thinking about how your
> relation with others is altered if you are behaving in ways that you
> could not reasonably expect them to accept. This puts you on a footing
> of revealed or concealed antagonism towards them. You are, in a way,
> contending parties. The reason we have not to have our relationships
> to be on this footing is the reason why we can be motivated to be
> moral."

So morality derives from our evolutionary biology, which just happens to have made us highly social primates who have strong emotional attachments to one another, but might have turned out some other way. In any case, it doesn't apply to the humans who happens to prefer to hate other humans on the basis, most likely, of other evolutionary accidents. There's no reason for them to be moral. Therefore, there is no general reason to be moral. The universe continues to lack a handle and a user's manual.