Ethical foundations of the left

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 13:32:24 PDT 2001

I'm taking on Kenneth, not Habermas. --jks

>Yeah, history is controversial, and, yeah, we deploy narratives to explain
>stuff. So? Nothing in Habermas says our discussions should be abstract,
>nothing says we shouldn't deploy narratives, or cite ideals or examples.
>Dunno why Justin thinks otherwise.
>
>Do reckon there's a bit of a-priori in Habermas, though. But then, until
>just now, I thought there was a bit in Justin, too. I'd love Justin to
>explain his particular brand of pragmatism one day, as I seem to have a
>pretty good idea of what kind of pragmatist he's not, but very little as to
>what kind he is.

You'll have to be be more specific. However, being a pragmatist is often a batter of what you're not. It's not an approach that has a lot of doctrinal content. It emphasizes the hoslims if beliefs and the practical test for the validity of own claims.

--jks