Ethical foundations of the left

Kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Thu Jul 26 23:41:27 PDT 2001

you can look in the lbo archives for the same http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/9910/0418.html <...>
>If this isn't persuasive, and one still wants to remain Habermasian,
>consider that the idea of communication free from domination is
>*conceptually* incoherent.

why?

>This should put an end to it. If you can't conceptualize it, one can
>hardly defend that it is a necessary moment / structure of speech (I
>agree, the presupposition can be made, in a practical discourse, but not
>invariantly so)

this from someone who digs lacan's notion of lack.

okeydoke!

>[although Habermas doesn't argue this is invariant, he notes that the
>lifeworld must meet the world of institutions half-way... but then that's
>just a problem for my argument *and* his isn't it?

i'm not quite sure i understand what the part in brackets means, but if it means what i think it means, then no, i don't think that's his argument. the lifeworld has its own rationalizing logic that is different from that of the institutions of the market and the state.

>However, with that being said, I'm going back to an orthodox Habermasian
>perspective, and I'll be defending that for the next few weeks.
>blessed critique,
>ken

neurotica,

kelley