Ethical foundations of the left

Kenneth MacKendrick kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 27 13:03:24 PDT 2001

At 09:31 AM 7/27/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Kenneth MacKendrick wrote:
> >
> > That we are creatures that learn. Lacan and Habermas are at one on this
> > point, although Habermas argues for cognitive development, which can be
> > formalized in analysis, and Lacan argues for something closer to cognition
> > without generalization (for theoretical reasons).
> >

>Ken, you keep saying things that make both Lacan and Habermas sound like
>third-grade reading texts. We are creatures that learn. Gee willikens as
>little orphan annie used to say.
>
>Carrol

Yeah but, 99% of what is written today, thought today, and argued today *ignores* this 'fact of reason.' That Habermas draws attention to it is practically revolutionary. I don't know when rationalism became a slur, but it almost defies explanation that reason has found so many ways to damage if not destroy itself.

ken