Ethical foundations of the left

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Jul 28 11:42:47 PDT 2001

Kenneth MacKendrick wrote:

> Habermas points out that a person who can take the position of an other in
> dialogue is more rational that a person that cannot.

We may be making minute progress. On what grounds should one place a high value (in the abstract -- that is in isolation, prior to, or post to a given process or struggle) on being more rational? I can understand saying that a given social structure or a given activity is more or less rational than some other structure or process, but the statement that one person is more rational than another is, actually, unintelligible to me. I don't know what it means.

Carrol