Ethical foundations of the left

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 29 11:03:42 PDT 2001

Really! Do you have statistics of any sort on this? Do you have references? Not that I don't believe you but I would like to post on this to some friends. Here we have some private, alternative, schools that may teach creationism, although I imagine they would also have to teach evolution to meet accredtiation standards but I am not sure about this. I am sure it varies from province to province but I know of no province that teaches creationism rather than evolution but perhaps some mention creationism as an alternative. I am not sure about Newfoundland. I believe that the schools system there is still not truly secular.

Years ago in Ontario we were required to have short religious readings before class started. I used to read from the Book of Myths. No one ever complained! This was in a rural area!

Cheers, Ken Hanly

----- Original Message ----- From: Justin Schwartz <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2001 11:07 PM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left

Kenneth, this example may be a result of living in Canada. Here in America, the theory of evolution is controversial--it's probably actually a minority view. Granted, we are backwards, but here religios communities have not exactly accomodated themselves to Darwinism. Here in Illinois, the theory of evolution is not part of the school curriculum taught in public schools. I'm talking Illinois, not Mississippi. It's not taught there, either. At least here the schools just dodge the issue. There they teach creationism.