zionism (again)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 29 12:19:38 PDT 2001

Well, I'm no advocate of the idae that "Zionism is racism," although a lot of Zionists are racists. As I've repeatedly said, Zionism and Israel are here to stay, get used to it. The problem for the left and progressive Jews is to contribute to making them less horrible. A forward looking policy is called for, figuring out how to get the Israelis the f"ck out of the West Bank and Gaza, ans to daelw ith Palestinians like human beins instead of drugged cockroaches in a bottle(the insectile insult is a charming phrase of Golda Maier's).

All that said, I'm not so positive that as a matter of historical fact the idea that historically Zionsim was part of a racist and imperialist project is wrong. The Zionists were not thinking about Yemeni Jews, whom the Ashkenazi Jews in Israel treat like dirt, almsot as badly as they treat Arabs--as I recall there was debate about whether the Ethopian Jews even counted as Jews; the Zionists were thinking of European Jewry, which was regarded as a seperate race by gentile Europeans in, say, 1870-1950, but by themselves as Europeans, where that meant white; the classical Zionsit rhetotic around the Arabs is pure white man's burden stuff--incapable of self government, sunk in Oriental indolence, dirty, sensual, greedy, violent, etc. The "making the desert bloom" stuff you still hear is straight out of that mindset. The natives don't improve the land, so we have a right to take it away from them.

Anyway, whether you call it racism or not doesn't matter, as long as you regard the national or ethnic chauvinism of Israeli Jews and their American supporters as an evil to be abolished.

--jks