ethical foundations of the left

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Sun Jul 29 19:12:30 PDT 2001

In a message dated 01-07-29 15:21:26 EDT, miles jackson writes:

<<To put it bluntly, I think JH has it completely

backward: it is via domination and power that we are able to

communicate with each other.>>

Here you seem to be saying that power differentials are what make communication possible.

If/when we succeed in overcoming

capitalist domination, we will not be "closer" to some sort of

ideal communicative situation; rather, we will be engaged in different

language games as appropriate to that context as existing forms

of communication are appropriate to the existing context.>>

Here you seem to be saying that communication/"language games" will be different (but no less possible) in a context where power differentials are decreased.

Am I misunderstanding you? The two statements seem to contradict each other.

Les