reading lists

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Jul 29 21:52:49 PDT 2001

1. Ellen Meiksins Wood, _The Retreat from Class_ 2. __________, _Democracy Against Capitalism_ 3. Sebastiano Timpanaro, _On Materialism_ 4. E.P. Thompson, _The Poverty of Theory and Other Essays_ 5. Hal Draper, "The Myth of Lenin's 'Concept of the Party': Or What They Did to _What Is To Be Done_," _Historical Materialism_ 4 (Summer 1999), pp. 187-214. 6. Charles Andrews, _From Capitalism to Equality: An Inquiry into the Laws of Economic Change_. [I haven't read this yet, but I'd take Jim Devine's word for it.] 7. William Blum, _Killing Hope: U.S. Military and CIA Interventions Since World War II_ 8. William Hinton, _Fanshen: A Documentary of Revolution in a Chinese Village_ [The greatest book in English in the 20th century, any genre] 9. Bruce Franklin, _M.I.A., or Mythmaking in America_ 10. Yvonne Kapp, _Eleanor Marx_ (2 vols.) 11. Richard Ohmann, _Politics of Letters_ 12. Stephanie Coontz, _The Social Origins of Private Life: A History of American Families 1600-1900_ 13. Marvin E. Gettleman, Jane Franklin, Marilyn Young and H. Bruce Franklin, _Vietnam and America: A Documented History_ 14. Raymond Williams, _Problems in Materialism and Culture_ 15. Amilcar Cabral, _Selected Speeches_ (and anything else available by this great man) 16. Wilbert Rideau & Ron Wikberg, _Rage and Survival Behind Bars_ 17. George Jackson, _Prison Letters_