Anti-Zionism Is Racism

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Jul 30 07:00:45 PDT 2001

Forstater, Mathew:

Gordon: In general, what right does a person have to be anywhere?

Forstater, Mathew:
>>> a farmer or pastoralist whose family has tilled the soil or herded
>>> livestock for generations as a basic mode of subsistence has a right to
>>> continue that way of life in the face of an invasion by outsiders
>>> carrying bibles and/or guns. no?

Gordon:
>> I don't know. I don't think too many of us would have a
>> right to be anywhere under that sort of rule.

Daniel Davies:
> Indeed. Many of the inhabitants of the land area currently occupied by South
> Africa at the time when the Boers arrived certainly wouldn't, as they were
> there as the result of the expansionist adventurism of Shaka/Chaka a mere
> generation or two previously.
> It is extremely rare for historical processes to throw up clear right/wrong
> distinctions of the kind that Matt seems to need for his strong anti-Zionist
> case to go through.

Exactly. Which is why the general question is so interesting. At least, _I_ think it's interesting. I'm surprised with all the philosophers on this mailing list and the popularity of anti-Zionism as well that someone didn't jump all over it and cut it up into little pieces. But no luck so far. What good are Adorno and Habermas if they can't sharpen your knives?