A Brief Note, Re: Ethical foundations of the left

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jul 30 10:51:20 PDT 2001

Ken,

This may even be relevant to the subject matter of the thread, I don't know.

I hope your arguing with Justin (and others, including me) is helping you with your dissertation. If so, wonderful, and keep going.

But you _of course_ are not going to convince either me or Justin of the truth of your (or H's position). That can't be done by argumentation. It could only (potentially) be done if such a huge change in world social conditions and my practice occurred that my understanding of the world seemed to have been dissolved, and I found myself desperately looking for some new way of looking at the world. I suspect the same would hold true for Justin (and most others on the list).

I have made really sweeping changes in my way of viewing the world several times over the last 55 years or so -- but I don't remember a single substantive change that came about by being convinced by argument. Books changed me in several ways I would imagine, but the only identifiable instances -- that is, the only instances in which I would explictly say something like, gee that's right -- were instances in which I realized I had been thinking that for years without knowing I had. Read Pope's _Essay on Criticism_ -- I think it is a pretty powerful statement of how books make a difference in a reader's life.

Carrol