Anti-Zionism Is Racism

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Mon Jul 30 14:04:48 PDT 2001

"Bantu" was an apartheid associated category that tried to separate African peoples from one another (from Khoisan peoples, e.g.--'colored') and de-Africanize African peoples (the Boer were "Afrikaners", no one else). "Bantu-speaking" is acceptable, 'Bantu' is not--it became something like 'native' in the derogatory sense. This anyway is what I learned from my South African (and other African) teachers and through involvement in the anti-apartheid movement. I know there are probably Africans who use the term 'Bantu' at times to refer to Bantu-speaking peoples, but from my reading I am convinced that its only real sensible use is with reference to language. As all colonized/Enslaved peoples learned, language is politics, and so if my language reflects my politics, fine. I prefer to try to figure out how historically-oppressed peoples choose the define (and name) themselves, and humbly follow that terminology. I understand that this is not always so cut and dry, but it is the best I know how to do.

I never said the white South Africans should leave South Africa. Neither did I say that Jews should leave Palestine. What I said was that Europeans living outside of Europe as a result of European Capitalist Colonialist Imperialism should not expect special privileges and should support democracy for all. They (we) should show a little humility. Certainly not continue to colonize, make others second class citizens, etc. I don't see what is so controversial abot it. My view is that of recognizing the historical specificity of violence/colonization/Enslavement/etc that was the direct or indirect result of European Capitalist Imperialism. It doesn't mean I think that other bad stuff people do to one another isn't bad. But I don't buy the "well everyone did it to everyone and so ECI is just one of a long list of more or less comparable bad struff humans have been doing to one another." If that's someone else's view, then fine, let's argue it out, that's why were here.

-----Original Message----- From: Rob Schaap [mailto:rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au] Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 2:21 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Anti-Zionism Is Racism

>by 'experience' i simply meant the migration from north to south to
>which you referred, implying they were as much (or, in your version,
>more) newcomers to "modern South Africa" as the Boer.

What's your problem with it, Matt? If you don't like 'Bantu', well, I'll admit categories are ever a problem, but not all Africans were Bantu. And, as I understand it, the Cape had never been inhabited by Bantu. As I don't personally go along with historical primacy arguments when it comes to the rightful pairing of peoples and territories (which is not to say I oppose 'landrights' - there are good and practical reasons for that at times), I don't think this matters, other than to highlight the fact we can end up with a different history, depending on how far back we go, and on what our categories are.

If our categories are 'black' and 'white', rather than, say, 'Bantu' (of which, just to complicate things, Zulu, Xhosa, Basutu and N'debele are all subsets - and there were no Zulus before Chaka instituted them in the late 18th century, and no N'debele before Mzilikase deserted Chaka's Zulus to start an alternative society - all of this long after the Cape was firmly in white hands, and a distinct Afrikaans culture had developed), 'Hottentot', 'Bushmen', 'Afrikaner' and British 'rooinek' South African, well, we'd have very different histories, wouldn't we?

And why is 'boer' (and not all Afrikaners are farmers) a better category than 'Afrikaner' (which, unsurprisingly, they all are)?

Oh, and if you favour expelling Afrikaners from the continent, where would you prefer them to go?

Cheers, Rob.