Ethical foundations of the left

Ken Hanly khanly at mb.sympatico.ca
Mon Jul 30 15:03:38 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: Justin Schwartz <jkschw at hotmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 12:25 AM Subject: Re: Ethical foundations of the left

For what Tarski says to be true -I guess this must be some meta use of "true" lol---there must be added something like "in English" but this seems to make Tarski's theory rather uninformative about truth in general and also make truth a predicate of sentences in specific languages. Tarski notes his own indebtedness to Aristotle and regards his semantic theory as a modern reconstruction of what is right in Aristotle. Aristotle said that it is true to say of what is that it is and of what it is not that it is not. This seems to be a much better formulation than anything Tarski ever did.

"Snow is white" is true in English if and only if snow is white but

"Der Schnee ist weiss" is true in German if and only if snow is white...excuse me if I got the German wrong..

and so on.. sentences are always sentences of some language and hence Tarski does not get any general formula for truth.. except "X'" is true in L if and only if X==where "X" is a sentence in L. but not otherwise..

Cheers, Ken Hanly