Cornell 1959, was Re: Notes from My Home Town

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Jul 30 16:24:10 PDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Carrol Cox wrote:

> They stalk, children of the _nouveaux riches_; chimes
> Of the tall Clock Tower drench their heads in blessing:
> "I don't wanna play at your house;
> Idon't like you any more."
> My house stands opposite, on the other hill,

Ah, yes, the Cornell clock tower. You know, they now have a whole musical program in the thing; snippets of Beethoven's 9th, down to the crassest pop tunes, all done in chimes., and loud as hell (you can't have a conversation right outside, e.g.). The first time you hear it it's sort of amusing, but after three weeks I started fantasizing about hijacking an Apache gunship and taking out that $%&! thing with air-to-ground missiles.

-- Dennis