A Brief Note, Re: Ethical foundations of the left

Lawrence lawrence at krubner.com
Tue Jul 31 02:30:55 PDT 2001

> I have made really sweeping changes in my way of viewing the world
> several times over the last 55 years or so -- but I don't remember a
> single substantive change that came about by being convinced by
> argument. Books changed me in several ways I would imagine, but the only
> identifiable instances -- that is, the only instances in which I would
> explictly say something like, gee that's right -- were instances in
> which I realized I had been thinking that for years without knowing I
> had.

I'm often told something that I disagree sharply with and argue against forcefully. And then, 6 weeks later, I am putting forward the new idea, the one I hated, to someone else. And somehow, during those 6 weeks, my resistance melts away and I become the one promoting the idea. This has happened to me, literally, 100s of times. I'm given a new idea which I hate so I fight against it. Later I accept it. I've noticed this sometimes happens to my friends too.

I would say it's rare for debate to change anyone's mind, but that it does happens sometimes. In any debate there is the 45% hard core on one side and the 45% hardcore for the other side and the 10% in the middle who can still be influenced. And all debate is basically aimed at that 10% in the middle.