Ethical foundations of the left

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Jul 31 11:40:36 PDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Kelley wrote:

> this was a serious question to either justin or the list. i want an answer
> damn it! :)
>
> why would someone, in this instance, my mother, tell my sister that she's
> not really a mother?
>
> yes, we're still on habermas and this will answer justin's q.
>
> kelley

Well, here's an answer that completely disregards JH:

Your mother has learned that certain roles are linked to the status of "mother". Given your sister's behavior/plan, your mom questions whether or not your sister will or can fulfill these roles. This is all about local standards of behavior, socially constructed notions of motherhood, locally acceptable use of language (e.g., being a "real mother"). I realize this is a pretty banal sociological analysis, but I still don't see what's gained by imputing some sort of univeral normative standards that must underlie these contingent statements.

Miles